Steps to Follow After a Car Accident
If you have ever been involved in a car accident, you understand how frightening and hectic they can be. Even the safest drivers can get into accidents because of the poor choices and negligent driving behaviors of others out on the road. All drivers should be aware of what to do in the event of a car crash to ensure that everyone leaves the scene safely and gets the medical care and insurance help they need.
If you are ever involved in an accident, remember to:
- Check if anyone has sustained any injuries. If so, call for immediate emergency assistance.
- Get out of your vehicle and move out of the way of traffic to avoid further injury.
- Contact the police and file an accident report with a police officer. Discuss the accident only with the officer, and ask how you can obtain a copy of the report.
- Collect the other party’s information. Write down names, telephone numbers, insurance information, and their vehicle identification number. Refrain from speaking about who is at fault for the accident with the other party.
- Contact your insurance company immediately to report the accident.
After you have left the scene, you should consider contacting a Milwaukee car accident attorney if you wish to learn more about pursuing legal action against the party responsible for the accident.
Sadly, car accidents are all too common, claiming thousands of lives and causing millions of injuries each year. If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a car accident due to the irresponsible or negligent behavior of another party, you should not be forced to suffer extensively for your losses. To learn about your legal rights, contact a Milwaukee car accident lawyer from Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® by calling 800-242-2874 today.