Milwaukee  |  Waukesha  |  Madison  |  Racine  |  Kenosha  |  Lake Geneva  |  Appleton  |  Green Bay  |  Wausau  |  Rhinelander  |  Stevens Point  |  Sheboygan  |  West Bend
When accidents or injuries happen to you or someone you love...why choose anyone else®
Home > Articles > What Insurance Does Wisconsin Require?

What Insurance Does Wisconsin Require?

Every driver is required to carry auto insurance in the State of Wisconsin. However, auto insurance is actually something of an umbrella term, as it applies to many markedly different types of insurance. While there are many options you can choose when determining what insurance is right for you, most policies have a selection which includes three main types of coverage: uninsured motorist insurance, liability insurance, and collision insurance.

While having insurance can protect you from financial damages, it cannot protect you physically if you happen to be the victim of a wreck. If you or someone you love has been injured or worse in a car accident, contact the Milwaukee automobile accident attorneys of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® by calling 800-242-2874.

Three Types of Insurance

There are many, many different options for auto insurance that can cover a wide range of situations, but there are three types which cover the vast majority of two-vehicle accidents. They are:

  • Uninsured motorist insurance. This is the only type of insurance which the State of Wisconsin requires motorists to carry. Uninsured motorist insurance covers you in the eventuality that you are in an accident caused by another driver who does not have sufficient insurance to cover the damage. It provides protection so that the injured party does not have to seek reimbursement from the property of the other driver.
  • Liability insurance. Although not required, liability insurance is highly recommended. It protects you from being personally responsible for the often enormous costs of accidents you have caused.
  • Collision insurance. Collision insurance – which is also not required by Wisconsin – helps you pay for the damage to your own car in accidents which you have caused, minus the deductible. The deductible is the amount of the repair bill that you are personally responsible for; a $500 deductible means that for a repair job costing $3,000, you must pay $500 and the insurance company will pay the other $2,500. Usually, a lower deductible means a higher monthly premium.

Contact Us

If you have been injured in an automobile accident, contact the Milwaukee auto accident injury attorneys of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® today by calling 800-242-2874.

Live Chat!
  • The information disclosed in this form does not constitute, nor create an attorney-client relationship.
Super Lawyers Martindale Hubbell AV Rated